Re: PXE net install question

I don't want to speak too much about this, because I am not up on the
finer points.  However, in my configuration I do not have easy access to
my DHCP server (controlled by another group, and I'm working with test
machines.)  Pretty much using the default configuration in pxe.conf from
the RHL rpm, I was able to boot up, no problem.  Which seems to me to
indicate it is working this way just fine.

I'm not clear whether this is working via multicast or broadcast.

> and here come some more questions! I actually have a seperate DHCP
> server from the PXE server. I understood that PXE gets an IP from DHCP,
> then sends out the PXE request to the broadcast and waits for a response
> from PXE. Is this not the case, thus requiring the entry you have in
> your dhcpd.conf file?
>

> > My /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:

This is slightly confusing the issue.  The PXE server, which is
installed via the pxe rpm you have referenced is *completely* different
than the references to pxelinux, which is what is referred to when
talking about pxelinux.cfg/default. The pxelinux stuff is referring to a
network usable boot loader available from the syslinux distribution.

The linux.0 file is the NBP, which sucks rocks, IMNHO.  Get pxelinux, it
will make your life so much more pleasant.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php

> ok, now you and another poster both have referred to
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default files that are not mentioned anywhere in
> the PXE-1.0 documentation! Now I'm sufficiently nervous that I'm missing
> something important. I might also mention that in my
> /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install directory, there was an existing file
> called linux.0 that is also not referenced in the documentation. file
> says it's a data file, but I had just left it in place.
>
> FWIW all this documentation I keep referring to came with my handy-dandy
> pxe-0.1-24 rpm.

Hope this all helps some.

--Chris