Re: PXE net install question

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Matthew Boeckman wrote:

>> next-server		1.2.3.4;
>> filename		"/tftpboot/pxelinux.bin";
>
>and here come some more questions! I actually have a seperate DHCP
>server from the PXE server. I understood that PXE gets an IP from DHCP,
>then sends out the PXE request to the broadcast and waits for a response
>from PXE. Is this not the case, thus requiring the entry you have in
>your dhcpd.conf file?

I won't say it [broadcast] can't be done, but that's not how I do it.
"next-server"  can be set to whatever IP address your PXE (TFTP) server
has.  Unfortunately, "next-server" is quite overloaded, and can be used
by both RedHat kickstart and Windows 2000 Remote Install Service to
specify the "configuration" server. You'll sometimes find that somebody
else has snagged it for this purpose.

>ok, now you and another poster both have referred to
>/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default files that are not mentioned anywhere in
>the PXE-1.0 documentation!

I don't use all that UNDI stuff. Probably has some fancy features I
don't need.

pxelinux.bin, as mentioned above, is really pxelinux.0 from the SYSLINUX
download (http://syslinux.zytor.com/). .../pxelinux.cfg/default is its
config file, which bears a striking resemblence to the syslinux.cfg
on Redhat's bootnet.img. That's really all you need to get vmlinuz and
initrd onto the box.

Cheers,

Phil

P.S. initrd-everything.img from images/pxeboot/ on the Redhat CD (or FTP
site) has more drivers, and is preferred to one of the reduced initrds
from the various floppies.