Re: PXE net install question

Don't know which documentation you're talking about, but I'll explain
how my PXE setup works.

/usr/share/doc/pxe-1.0 . In short, setup xinetd for tftp/mtftp, setup /etc/pxe.conf, get vmlinuz and initrd in /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/ linux.1 and linux.2

Do you want to kickstart? Or do you want to interactively answer all the
anaconda prompts (partitions/packages/etc.)? You don't *need* to
kickstart - PXE just replaces the floppy or CD as the place to load the
first stage from.

ok, good, that was my understanding (PXE is boot medium)

My dhcpd.conf:

next-server		1.2.3.4;
filename		"/tftpboot/pxelinux.bin";

and here come some more questions! I actually have a seperate DHCP server from the PXE server. I understood that PXE gets an IP from DHCP, then sends out the PXE request to the broadcast and waits for a response from PXE. Is this not the case, thus requiring the entry you have in your dhcpd.conf file?

My /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:

serial 0,9600
default ks
prompt 1
timeout 30
label text
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img text devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192
label expert
  kernel vmlinuz
  append expert initrd=initrd.img devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=nfs:1.2.3.4:/nfsdir initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192

ok, now you and another poster both have referred to /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default files that are not mentioned anywhere in the PXE-1.0 documentation! Now I'm sufficiently nervous that I'm missing something important. I might also mention that in my /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install directory, there was an existing file called linux.0 that is also not referenced in the documentation. file says it's a data file, but I had just left it in place.

FWIW all this documentation I keep referring to came with my handy-dandy pxe-0.1-24 rpm.