Re: can I do this with DHCP and a boot floppy?

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 08:47, subs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am trying to boot a box with a 7.3 boot floppy I created. At the boot
> prompt I type:
> linux ks=nfs:<dhcp server>:/export/kscfg/
>
> I can see the box connecting to the DHCP box via logs. In my DHCP config
> file I have the following 2 lines:
> filename "/export/RHL_ISOs/7.3/cfg_files/kscfg/ks.cfg";
> next-server <dhcp server>;

The settings from the dhcp server are being overridden by what you are
providing on the command line, if you want the filename/next-server
entries in dhcp to be used, at the boot prompt you should type only
'linux ks'.

From
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

ks - If ks is used alone, the installation program will configure the
Ethernet card in the system using DHCP. The system will use the
"bootServer" from the DHCP response as an NFS server to read the
kickstart file from (by default, this is the same as the DHCP server).
The name of the kickstart file is one of the following:

* If DHCP is specified and the bootfile begins with a /, the bootfile
provided by DHCP is looked for on the NFS server.

* If DHCP is specified and the bootfile begins with something other then
a /, the bootfile provided by DHCP is looked for in the /kickstart
directory on the NFS server.

* If DHCP did not specify a bootfile, then the installation program
tries to read the file /kickstart/1.2.3.4-kickstart, where 1.2.3.4 is
the numeric IP address of the machine being installed.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@xxxxxxxxxx
Senior Engineer                 Red Hat Professional Consulting