Re: Hassles with 8.0 - renegotiating the DHCP?!?

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:35:59PM -0400, knights-of-ni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Has anyone seen problems in the Psyche release with kickstart whereupon
> the client boots up, D/L's the kernel, and initrd, runs the first stage
> right up to /sbin/loader, starts Anaconda, and then the client stops
> with:
>
> Pump reports: no DHCP response received
>
> While the DHCP server reports four DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPOFFER cycles
> before it then fails to get the ks.cfg file?  This same exact system
> kickstarts flawlessly under 7.3, same hub, same server, etc., and yet
> now with 8.0, it seems the kernel is doing something different.

Hrm.... I saw something similar to that way back when.  Ultimately,
the problem was that the version of pxelinux I was using (1.63) was
jacking something up so that when anaconda tried to get an IP it never saw
the reply from the DHCP server.  A hack to the loader.c code to make
it do a couple of retries seemed to work around the problem, but the
better solution was to use a later version of pxelinux.

We're currently using 1.65, and I haven't seen any problems with
8.0 (or any other releases).

Bug number was #56499 and a copy of a patch for the retry hack is in
there in case you want to give it a shot.

--
Kelley Spoon                                        Main: 210-892-4000
Rackspace Managed Hosting                            Fax: 210-892-4329