Re: Partition resizing

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 15:37, J. Lucha wrote:
> Has anyone attempted resizing a partition, or know enough about parted
> to do so?
>
> Ultimately what I would like to do is check the partition table, and if
> there is only one partition, and it's a fat partition taking up the
> whole drive, then resize it so the drive has unallocated free space.
>
> The reason for this is to use it for a Linux installfest for those that
> want to try it out without losing their Windows.  And while we could
> just as easily just have a station with people running parted from a
> boot floppy, I'd much prefer to modify the installer to do this, so that
> we could hand people CD's to take home if they didn't bring a computer,
> or want to put it on another machine at home.
>
> Looking at he parted website and documentation, it seems to have hooks
> for being able to do all the checks.

parted is not something that I would automate if you intend to run it on
machines with data that needs to be saved, the risk of losing all the
info on the hard drive is way too high.  I would look instead at doing
bootable CD's that will let you run directly from the CD without
touching the hard drive, it's a much safer environment with a lot fewer
things to go wrong...

parted is also not something that can ever really be completely
automated, and since you will have to defrag the windows partition
before you shrink it, the first impression people are going to get is
that linux is really slow, as they wait a few hours for their drive to
defrag.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@xxxxxxxxxx
Senior Engineer                 Red Hat Professional Consulting