Re: Partition resizing

Jason Kohles wrote:
[snip]
info on the hard drive is way too high.  I would look instead at doing
bootable CD's that will let you run directly from the CD without
touching the hard drive, it's a much safer environment with a lot fewer
things to go wrong...

While I've used CD based Linux distros such as DemoLinux and Knoppix,
they are not what I would tell someone to run for weeks on end.
Both are great if you are away and need a quick Linux environment, or just give someone a quick feel. Someone that has taken the time to look for a Linux LUG and attend an installfest wants to be able to really try and use the system.

Every product that does anything to your drives/partitions always has risks,
and come with a warning about those risks. People installing an OS already are aware of those risks.

The steps are going to be executed, but why not ease some of it by automating it.

parted is also not something that can ever really be completely
automated, and since you will have to defrag the windows partition
before you shrink it, the first impression people are going to get is
that linux is really slow, as they wait a few hours for their drive to
defrag.

Hmmm..if it can't be fully automated, then that's too bad..
It seems like it should be possible though. Looking at the list archives, seems some people are doing some incredible things using a wide variety of tools to accomplish their task.

And actually the parted documentation says that a defrag is not necessary.
It lists that as an advantage over Fips.

As to the wait time and first impressions..have you installed Windows recently ;) Maybe we can add a solitare game like Caldera did.

-Jim