Partition resizing

Has anyone attempted resizing a partition, or know enough about parted to do so?

Ultimately what I would like to do is check the partition table, and if there is only one partition, and it's a fat partition taking up the whole drive, then resize it so the drive has unallocated free space.

The reason for this is to use it for a Linux installfest for those that want to try it out without losing their Windows. And while we could just as easily just have a station with people running parted from a boot floppy, I'd much prefer to modify the installer to do this, so that we could hand people CD's to take home if they didn't bring a computer, or want to put it on another machine at home.

Looking at he parted website and documentation, it seems to have hooks for being able to do all the checks.

-Jim