Re: scsi w/net install

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the feedback.

At 01:37 PM 8/6/2002 -0400, Mike McLean wrote:
>First, you should generally try to mimic the kernel args from
>syslinux.cfg on the boot disk you are using.  I boot anaconda with lilo
>all the time, and I use something like this:
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz-anaconda
>    label=ks
>    read-only
>    initrd=/boot/initrd-anaconda.img
>    append="devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 ks=http://server/path/ks.cfg";

I thought I had to set up a DHCP server (which I don't have) to use
ks=http...  If I do not, where and how do I specify my machine's IP
address, DNS, netmask, etc.?

>Second, Keep in mind that the primary purpose of the bootnet image is
>for network based installs.  There are not nearly as many scsi drivers
>here as there are on boot.img.  It is not surprising that the first
>stage of anaconda might not be able to access your scsi drive to pull
>the kickstart file off.  Try using nfs or http to pull the kickstart in
>if you're going to be using bootnet.img. If this is not an option, you
>can put ks.cfg directly on the initrd and pull it in with
>"ks=file:/ks.cfg" or some such.

I tried putting ks.cfg in the initrd, but it still didn't work.  I probably
did something wrong, so I'll try again.  Any pointers on how I should put
the ks.cfg file in the initrd?

I also tried rolling my own initrd by combinging the modules in bootnet.img
with those in boot.img; still no go.  What's worse is that I am not sure
what the problem is: a module, a device, a config file, a missing pointer,
a bug, or something else?  All I do know is that the install complains with
"failed to mount sda1."

>OTOH, as long as you're booting from lilo off the hard drive, why not
>use one of the larger initrds, such as the isolinux initrd, the autoboot
>initrd, or initrd-everything.

Because I did not know they existed, cannot find them on the CD, and cannot
find them using Google.  BTW, this is for RH7.1.  I did find the images for
7.3.  Do the images exist for 7.1?  Unfortunately, we're not going to
upgrade to 7.3 yet because we have not had a chance tweak 7.3 so that it
works with our current setup.  So far we've found two things that do not
work for us under 7.3:
  1) hdparm cannot set DMA for IDE drives
  2) fdisk is limited to 16 partitions with IDE drives.
Neither of these issues exist with 7.1.

Regards,
- Robert