Setting MTU prior to network activity

How can I reset the MTU of a network interface before Kickstart engages in
network activity (e.g. sending a DHCP request, mounting NFS filesystems, et
cetera)?  The "%pre" section of the ks.cfg file is obviously too late.  Do I
need to hack the loader/anaconda source to do this?

(For the curious: our Beowulf cluster uses SysKonnect SK-9821 gigabit ethernet
cards, and increasing the MTU from the default 1500 to the maximum 9000
dramatically improves communication performance.  The master node that acts
as the DHCP, DNS, and NFS server cannot have the MTU associated with its
gigabit card decreased to 1500 for the installation of slave nodes, because
that causes NFS synchronization errors with the rest of the nodes.)

--
Kevin DeGraaf
Supercomputer Administrator