Re: kickstart stuck after downloading kernel & ramdisk using PXE

> On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 16:19, Thierry Delaitre wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install RedHat 7.2 on a Dell 1500SC using PXE. DHCP/PXE/tftp
> > work ok until the client machine downloads the kernel (linux.1) & initrd
> > (linux.2).
> >
> > The boot process:
> >
> >  - The first boot device of my client is the network adapter (pxe client);
> >  - The client gets an IP address from DHCP server;
> >  - Press F8 to view menu.....  message is shown;
> >  - So, I select Remote Install Linux;
> >  - The sytem shows this two messages:
> >
> >    Downloading Linux kernel image ........
> >    Downloading initrd image.....
> >
> > At this point the startup process stops every time, and nothing
> > happens. The messages still on display forever !!!!
> >
> > - I'm using pxe-0.1-20.src.rpm
> >
> > - DELL 1500SC has 2 processors and 2GB of RAM.
> >
> > - I'm using the pxe image boot files (linux.1 & linux.2) which come with
> >   the redhat 7.2 CD.
> >
> > The same setup works with Dell PowerEdge 1400. Why doesn't it work for the
> > Dell 1500SC ? Is that because it has 2 processors ? It is weird that it
> > does not even say that it is uncompressing the linux kernel ?
> >

> which nic?

there are 2 nics:

 - intel pro 1000 which is on the motherboard and which cannot be flashed.
 - separate PCI intel pro 10/100 with flash memory.

I'm trying to boot from the PCI Intel pro 10/100. This card comes with a
particular boot agent (1.0.14) which does not seem to work when using
pxe-0.1-20.src.rpm. The pxe client says that the proxydhcp on port 4011 is
not answering (PXE-E55). I've enabled the proxydhcp in the pxe.conf file
and I can see that there is a service running on udp port 4011 when using
netstat. Also, I can see that there are pxe packets transmitted by the pxe
client but these do not look exactly the same when using a different flash
memory.

So, I've flashed the Intel pro 10/100 with an older flash from an Intel
pro 10/100 which is in a Dell poweredge 1400 and it starts to boot but got
stuch at the messages 'downloading kernel/initrd'.

The flash currently reports 'Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 067). Should I use
this one or a more recent one ?

> some of the nics need a rom update to boot well.
>
> also you will need to limit the available mem to the kernel at boot time
> to 800MB iirc - search through bugzilla - there are some good entries in
> there.

I've tried to set the bios to limit to 256MB only but still same problem.

Thanks,

Thierry.