Re: thoughts on kickstart

--- Erik Troan <ewt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:01:33 -0500 (EST)
> "rpjday" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > 1)  as i mentioned in a previous posting, there's
> the glaring
>
> This isn't going to happen, I promise. What is going
> to happen (I hope) is
> that we'll encourage folks to do "interesting"
> kickstart-ish things in
> python, where you get a real programming language
> and I don't have to
> implement it ;-) You can do this in a sporadic way
> already, but cleaning
> it up and documenting it is high on my todo list.
> The internal structure
> of anaconda had to change quite a bit to make this a
> sane idea, but those
> changes got into 7.2 already.

Documenting the class structure in anaconda would
be a Good Thing.  Also better explaining how the
newt widget set works would also be helpful.  I
already
figured out how to add a keyword to kickstart.py, but
others might find an explanation of that useful.
(Yeah, yeah, since I figured it out, why don't I
explain it?  At the moment, no time available.  That
and some other kickstart things have been on my list
of things to do for the last 2 months.)  Other
possible
chapters for the Book of Kickstart could be (sorry
if some of this is RH 7.1 specific; I haven't had time
yet to convert to 7.2):

* The comps file: imposing order on a list of packages
* How to recompile the BOOT kernel
* How to add a module to the BOOT kernel
* hdstg1.img, hdstg2.img, netstg1.img, netstg2.img,
and
  stage2: which image is used when
* boot.img, initrd.img and how to modify them

And, yes, many of these have been addressed on this
list.  But if you were going to put together a book
or an FAQ, it would be useful to collect these in
one place.

--Seth