RE: probably a dumb question, but ...

<snip>
> according to the docs, if you type the name of a label, the info for
> that label is used to determine which kernel to boot and which options
> get passed to the kernel.  fair enough.
>
> note that, in the standard boot.img floppy image that comes with
> red hat 7.2, there is a "linux" label *and* a "ks" label.  I've
> always thought that, to do a net-based kickstart install, I had
> to type:
>
>   boot: linux ks
>
> but from the above, it looks as if I could just type:
>
>   boot: ks
>
> since that will invoke the other label line.  the only effective
> difference is that one way of doing it will add a "vga=788"
> option, and
> the other won't.  am I reading this correctly?  granted, it's not
> a big deal, I'm just curious.  and, of course, if I got ambitious,
> I could add extra stanzas to that file and cut myself a custom boot
> floppy.
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  as I see it, if I wanted to do any variation of a kickstart
> install that required me to type "linux ks=<something>", there is
> no alternative for *that*.  but "linux ks" can, as it appears,
> be abbreviated just as "ks" at the boot prompt, right?

Correct on all counts.  Here is the relevant part of my syslinux.cfg:

default ks
timeout 60  (6 seconds)
label ks
kernel vmlinuz
append ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg.cdrom initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount
label ks2
kernel vmlinuz
append ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg.everything initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount

This last one, I have a few users who insist on installing everything, so in
the ks.cfg.everything file I have a %package section that has one entry:
Everything.  These users must start typing before the 6 second timeout is
up, but it seems to work well.

Forrest