Re: thoughts on kickstart

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:01:33 -0500 (EST)
"rpjday" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1)  as i mentioned in a previous posting, there's the glaring
> inconsistency in using "=" in some places and not in others, in the
> following example in the very same directive:
>
> 	--nisdomain <domain name>
> 	--ldapserver=<ldap server name>

The docs are inconsistent here, anaconda isn't. It takes either one,
with or without quotes. You can basically treat those commands as shells
commands; the parsing is nearly identical. For those interested, "man popt"
and look at poptParseArgvString() for details.

> 3)  in most cases, a single word directive seems to mean that that
> directive is in effect, such as "text" or "reboot".  so what's the
> deal with "zerombr yes"?  according to the docs, there is no other
> valid "zerombr" directive, so doesn't that make the word "yes"
> just a tad redundant, and inconsistent with the pattern of the
> rest of the directives?

This is actually on purpose. It is poorly named (as you note), but it
erases quite a bit of information and we wanted to make it a bit harder
to get that behavior. For almost all cases clearpart is fine.

> 4)  a lack of symmetry in directive options.  for example, the
> "bootloader" directive has the --useLilo option, but no --useGrub
> option.  any particular reason for this?

useGrub is the default? Okay, so maybe that's not a good reason ;-)

> 6) along with the previous point, the biggest drawback with the k.s.
> config file is its inconsistency with the grouping of directives and
> their possible options.  consider:

Agreed. The kickstart file is quite inconsistent. The real reason it's this
way is that it was a quick hack into the Red Hat 5.0 (I think) installer, 90%
of it done sitting at home one night seeing if it was as straightforward as
I thought. It got documented, support tools got written, etc.... The file
format is a bit odd, but changing it isn't quite strightforward either. We
have some major partners and installations using kickstart widely, and they
don't want to see if break without a really good reason.

> 7)  oh, and one final, real nitpicky point.  the docs suggest *very*
> strongly that you must write the directives in a specific order.
> this wasn't true with earlier versions of kickstart -- you had some
> flexibility.  has that changed?

The documentation is all. You can really put it any way you want.

> what this suggests is that kickstart file directives are going to evolve
> into a simple programming language.  (sound familiar?  check out the
> RedHat/base/comps file, which defines what rpms get loaded at install
> time.  that file has conditional constructs which check if other rpms
> have been loaded, what the architecture is, etc.)

This isn't going to happen, I promise. What is going to happen (I hope) is
that we'll encourage folks to do "interesting" kickstart-ish things in
python, where you get a real programming language and I don't have to
implement it ;-) You can do this in a sporadic way already, but cleaning
it up and documenting it is high on my todo list. The internal structure
of anaconda had to change quite a bit to make this a sane idea, but those
changes got into 7.2 already.

I hope this addresses some of your concerns.

Erik

| "Amazingly, there are significant numbers of 30-something women now who     |
|  want to learn how to box - something that most sensible American men gave  |
|  up years ago."                    - New York Times Magazine                |