Journalling - limited RAM

Folks,

  The new RH7.2 inclusion of journalling had me trying to backport just
  that part to kickstart / anaconda 7.0.

  Why 7.0 ?

  [ Warning: speculation below. a yes/no would be appreciated .. ]

  7.0 was the last release that could install in 16 Meg of RAM. We are
  targetting recycled 486 / Pentium computers, and pushing a 486 over
  16Meg means locating scarce, expensive, SIMM RAM after tossing out
  your 4M SIMMs.

  We want to do both CD and network installs. A change in RH7.1 anaconda
  copied the install image from the network and did a loopback mount,
  rather than doing an NFS mount directly, which I believe was the cause
  of the increased RAM usage.

  yes/no ?

  But I *really* wanted journalling - these machines live in remote
  township / rural schools, with flakey power.

  I replaced the e2fsprogs binaries in RedHat/instimage/*, including
  the shared libraries, and hacked the fstab.py script there to add the
  '-j' parameter to mke2fs, put something in %post to edit /etc/fstab to
  change partition types to ext3, and it works !!

Cheers,     Andy!

--
http://www.wizzy.org.za/