LVM on install

I have one large partition on which I'd like to run
LVM.  Unlike RAID, the 2.4.2 kernel which comes with
RH 7.1 does not have LVM turned on.  I'd like to get
it turned on, and include the utilities for the LVM
binaries.  I want it all to happen during the initial
installation.  Why?  Sometimes the "initial"
installation will be a semi-automatic restore from
tape onto a system which has lost a disk.  I
anticipate
a lot of files will want to go back onto the LVM-ized
partition.

I think that I know how to include the LVM binaries:
unpack RedHat/base/stage2.img on the first CD, add
the binaries, and re-pack stage2.img.  More or less,
I do:

cp .../RedHat/base/stage2.img /tmp/stage2.img
cd /tmp
mkdir stage2
mount stage2.img stage2 -o loop
# Because it is a CD-ROM, stage2 cannot be written to,
# so I end up having to do the following:
mkdir stage2.copy
cd stage2
tar cf - . | (cd /tmp/stage2.copy; tar xf - )

Then I modify the /tmp/stage2.copy hierarchy,
and use mkisofs on it to recreate stage2.img, and
put stage2.img back into .../RedHat/base .

But, I can't get LVM turned on.  I tried recompiling
a 2.4.2 kernel and including an LVM module in the
stage2, but insmod complained about an unresolved
symbol when I tried it in the alt-F2 screen during
the install.

Is there a way to get this to work?  Do I need
to make a driver disk?  Or, do I need to
include the entire recompiled kernel
and modules in boot.img and stage2.img?
vmlinuz goes in boot.img and modules in stage2.img?
If so, where does the modules/module-info file
in stage2 come from?

Thanks,

--Seth
sethal@xxxxxxxxx