RE: >really< hands-off install

I just saw something in the FAQ:
{ Can I Use SYSLINUX on a Hard Drive? }
SYSLINUX can boot from a FAT12 or FAT16 filesystem partition on a hard disk
(FAT32, introduced in Windows 95 OSR-2, is not supported, however.) The
installation procedure is identical to the procedure for installing it on a
floppy, and should work under either DOS or Linux. To boot from a partition,
SYSLINUX needs to be launched from a Master Boot Record or another boot
loader, just like DOS itself would.
Under DOS, you can install a standard simple MBR on the primary hard disk by
running the command:

FDISK /MBR
Then use the FDISK command to mark the appropriate partition active.
A simple MBR, roughly on par with the one installed by DOS (but
unencumbered), is included in the SYSLINUX distribution