Re: >really< hands-off install

--- David T-G <davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, all --
> vmlinuz kernel, and the syslinux.cfg file over into
> /boot.  My lilo.conf
> entry looks like
>
>   image=/boot/vmlinuz-kickstart
>           label=kick
>           initrd=/boot/initrd.img-kickstart
>           read-only
>           root=/dev/sda1
>
> and my syslinux file looks like
>
>   default kick
>   label kick
>     kernel vmlinuz-kickstart
>     append ks=file:/ks.cfg
> initrd=initrd.img-kickstart.gz console=ttyS0,9600n8
>
> but it doesn't really make sense to me how syslinux
> comes into play or
> how the system knows to look to the ks.cfg file.
>
> It doesn't seem to make sense to the system, either,
> because when I boot
> and select "kick" (or, more typically, run "lilo -R
> kick ; reboot") it
> gets part way thru the boot and hangs.

As I understand it, whatever actually boots in
boot.img
reads the syslinux.cfg.  That then allows the user to
choose a particular installation method.

I notice that you have a initrd.img-kickstart in
your boot image.  Is that in addition to, or a
replacment for, the existing initrd.img?  If it's
an addition, are you sure that there was sufficient
room for it in the floppy image?  Likewise, is the
vmlinuz-kickstart additional, or replacement, for
vmlinuz, and is there sufficient room for it?

Having only a portion of an initrd might explain
why the system is hanging; when the kernel can't
read the missing part of initrd, the system hangs.

--Seth Alford
sethal@xxxxxxxxx