Re: >really< hands-off install

Hi, all --

I'm back again.  I still have problems trying to kickstart from the hard
drive instead of from a floppy.  Let's see if I can summarize what I've
done so far...

Following Forrest's instructions, I opened up initrd.img and copied in
my ks.cfg file and zipped it back up again.  I copied that, my bootnet
vmlinuz kernel, and the syslinux.cfg file over into /boot.  My lilo.conf
entry looks like

  image=/boot/vmlinuz-kickstart
          label=kick
          initrd=/boot/initrd.img-kickstart
          read-only
          root=/dev/sda1

and my syslinux file looks like

  default kick
  label kick
    kernel vmlinuz-kickstart
    append ks=file:/ks.cfg initrd=initrd.img-kickstart.gz console=ttyS0,9600n8

but it doesn't really make sense to me how syslinux comes into play or
how the system knows to look to the ks.cfg file.

It doesn't seem to make sense to the system, either, because when I boot
and select "kick" (or, more typically, run "lilo -R kick ; reboot") it
gets part way thru the boot and hangs.

More details available if I'm on the right track or they're needed for
clarification, but I get the feeling I'm doing it wrong...

TIA & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) davidtg@xxxxxxxxxxx      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie