Re: Patch: nagios-check module

Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> Sorry about that, let me know if the attached works better. As for the
> file name, since nagios-check.py can not be import directly in python
> due to the hyphen:
> In [1]: import nagios-check
>   File "<ipython-input-1-6ddeeb3cbbd2>", line 1
>     import nagios-check
>                  ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> I renamed it nagios_check.py, not sure if this is the best for the
> future but that is where that confusion lay. Is there a way to capture a
> name change in a patch? The name has been changed back so this "should"
> apply cleanly.

You can use:

    git mv func/minion/modules/nagios-check.py \
        func/minion/modules/nagios_check.py

(Followed by any edits and commits for nagios_check.py, of course.)

That's not functionally different than moving the file manually and
using git rm func/minion/modules/nagios-check.py, followed by git add
func/minion/modules/nagios_check.py.  Then the commit should capture
all the information needed for others to apply this cleanly via git
am.

Also, just in case it's helpful, git has some handy docs for
submitting patches via various mail clients in the MUA-SPECIFIC HINTS
section of git-format-patch(1).  Or there's git send-email, which
takes the sending MUA out of the loop.

The guidelines for submitting patches to git itself are also decent in
general:

    http://repo.or.cz/w/git.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

One thing about git is the general tendency to use a short "subject"
for the patch (roughly 50 characters or so, in general), followed by a
blank line, then a more detailed description of the patch and
reasoning for it.

(But don't take this for any specific advice for func, I'm just a
lurker here, and a small-time git pedant.)

If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is
that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Phoenix...
    -- Hunter S. Thompson