Re: Patch: nagios-check module

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Greg Swift <gregswift@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 08:28, Tim Bielawa <tbielawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 15:00:03 -0800, Erinn Looney-Triggs <erinn.looneytriggs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Whilst trying to learn how to write func modules I stumbled across
> nagios-check.py, which looks like it could use a little love. The
> attached patch gets it to work, cleans up some formatting, changes the
> name to nagios_check.py so you can import it easily to test, and allows
> for the use of configuration files to modify the nagios plugins path. I
> also changed the class name, there is already a newer Nagios class in
> the nagios.py module, and though this may not matter, I believe it can
> for the conf files that are created. Perhaps I don't understand the
> whole structure of things, but it looks to me like this could lead to a
> collision.
>
> -Erinn

Good catch on the class names. I didn't even consider that when I wrote
the class in nagios.py. I guess I always just assumed it was named
NagiosCheck or something.

I hadn't commented yet cause I've never used it, so good to hear Tim weigh in.  I think it looks pretty good with 1 exception.  Instead of just using the func subprocess, i'd do a try block like this:

try:
  import sub_process
except ImportError:

  from func.minion import sub_process

cause the func one was mainly there for RHEL4 boxes, and I believe was just a "backport" of the py2.4 subprocess module.  So we don't necessarily want to move to it, we'd rather move away from it.

-greg

That sounds fine, again I may be missing something here, but subprocess and sub_process are two different things. I looked at sub_process and  figured it was just a back port of subprocess to cover older python versions, as you said. To make this work though wouldn't you want something like this:

try:
  import subprocess as sub_process
except ImportError:
  from func.minion import sub_process

Or perhaps even better:

try:
  import subprocess
except ImportError:
  from func.minion import sub_process as subprocess

and then change the call to subprocess. The second one having the advantage that in the future you can just remove the try when RHEL 4 finally passes away.

-Erinn