Re: Coordinating efforts

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Michael DeHaan wrote:
<snip>
 Actually I have seen multiple small networks behind NATs in a quite a few
 instances. Satellite downlink stations, ship networks, customer colo
 support. Amazon cloud also does NAT and public IP is extra cost.

 Having a system be NAT neutral is good feature in general.

Good to know ... FWIW, if the NAT is a sufficiently accessible Linux box (runs RHEL and Python), we can use the new (pending) Cobbler proxy module to solve this problem.

Basically it works by having the NAT box be a certmaster to the nodes behind the NAT, and the node outside the NAT providing certmaster services (being an overlord for), the NAT box.

Then we make a request like:

func call --delegate "mailservers*" [ ... arguments ... ]

this essentially will do depth/breadth first traversal across the Func tree, collate results down, but only run the command on minions if they match the wildcard (glob).

This of course doesn't invalidate the above usage if you can't do that.

In the case of the EC2 system, I suspect the best way to use Func in that environment would be to log into a master overlord node inside your "cloud" and run Func from there, rather than trying to run Func directly from your laptop against EC2.

You would have to have at least one box running Func that you could address.

Some of the use cases I am working on for EC2, it is treated as an extension of the local grid and standard grid scheduler just treats EC2 as a different class of temporary resources. Having a func instance provide proxy service to the cloud woul be ideal.

--
-subhendu