Re: A moveable Func

Mike M wrote:
 Hello,

I've been researching making a portable Func installation that allows
me to run a single "installer" across the thousands of Linux servers
we have in our environment, which range from RH 7.3 to RHEL5 and
everything in-between.  The biggest stumbling block I've run into is
the system Python being incompatible with some or all of Func's
features - it seems to work best on Python 2.3 or higher (especially
the Smolt requirement, which doesn't exist in EPEL for RHEL4 let alone
anything older).

The hardware module probably needs some work so it does not require smolt.

Right now you can use hardware "hal_info" instead of "info" to get things from lshal.

Another alternative is probably modding the hardware library to use the rhpl stuff directly which should be everywhere (and is what Smolt is based on -- or maybe uses?).

As a possible solution, I asked around on python-list, and someone
pointed me to PyInstaller: http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/

>From the looks of it, it seems as simple as installing Func and its
dependencies on the oldest system using a recent Python compiled from
source, and then rely on the compat-* libs on the newer systems to
allow it to run.  It looks like it could be a possible solution, but I
wanted to get input from the group.  Does anyone have experience with
PyInstaller, or am I barking up the wrong tree?  Does anyone else see
value into having A Moveable Func (apologies for the bad Hemingway
reference :) )?

If you have all the packages (such as a newer Python), it seems to make sense I think to just install all the packages rather than rely on an installer that may make things more confusing. If absolutely needed you could perhaps make a meta-package and/or put all the packages in a repository (which we can probably host on fedorapeople even).

Thanks,

Mike