Re: A moveable Func

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  The hardware module probably needs some work so it does not require smolt.
>
>  Right now you can use hardware "hal_info" instead of "info" to get
>  things from lshal.

This works for me, but it seems like func-inventory requires smolt?  I
suppose that's a quick fix, but it didn't work correctly on my RHEL4
machines out-of-the-box.

>  If you have all the packages (such as a newer Python), it seems to make
>  sense I think to just install all the packages
>  rather than rely on an installer that may make things more confusing.
>  If absolutely needed you could
>  perhaps make a meta-package and/or put all the packages in a repository
>  (which we can probably host on fedorapeople even).

Hrm, maybe I'm confused by your response, but PyInstaller isn't an
installer like one would know in the Windows world - rather, it makes
an executable that doesn't require a separate Python environment.
>From the FAQ:

Q: Does PyInstaller build a real installer like NSIS or InstallShield?
A: No, despite its name (with has more to do with its historical
roots), PyInstaller is used to transform a Python program into a
native executable form which does not require existing Python
installations to run. Building an installer program is totally outside
the scope of PyInstaller.

So my thought would be:  Get a vintage OS to run Func as we need it
and validate it to run, package it up into an RPM, and deploy the
compiled Func application to all servers.  By doing this, it saves me
from having to install a recent Python on every machine *and* install
Func.   Does that make sense?  Of course, I have no idea if
PyInstaller does what it says, but it looked promising.

Mike