A moveable Func

 Hello,

I've been researching making a portable Func installation that allows
me to run a single "installer" across the thousands of Linux servers
we have in our environment, which range from RH 7.3 to RHEL5 and
everything in-between.  The biggest stumbling block I've run into is
the system Python being incompatible with some or all of Func's
features - it seems to work best on Python 2.3 or higher (especially
the Smolt requirement, which doesn't exist in EPEL for RHEL4 let alone
anything older).

As a possible solution, I asked around on python-list, and someone
pointed me to PyInstaller: http://pyinstaller.python-hosting.com/

>From the looks of it, it seems as simple as installing Func and its
dependencies on the oldest system using a recent Python compiled from
source, and then rely on the compat-* libs on the newer systems to
allow it to run.  It looks like it could be a possible solution, but I
wanted to get input from the group.  Does anyone have experience with
PyInstaller, or am I barking up the wrong tree?  Does anyone else see
value into having A Moveable Func (apologies for the bad Hemingway
reference :) )?

Thanks,

Mike