Re: Planning for the system-config-* idea

Greg Wallace wrote:
cool - thanks for that explanation. I am not a developer, and so once you've dumbed a topic down, dumb it down a little more and that'll be perfect for me :)

So, I am anxious to use some of func's stuff in NetDirector - espec. the features you mentioned. And one of the things users have been asking us for forever is the ability to run their own scripts through ND - and so, if there's a way to get some economies of scale by having a shared script repo across func/ND, that would be cool.

Neat.

Yep, any case where something is generally useful for systems management, we can ship that as part of Func. For modules that don't quite make sense in Func, ND's installer could just drop them in the modules directory, and they would work automagically.

As far as ND contribs to func, I'm wondering if there's a use case for windows support in func...we'll be putting a stable ND agent for windows on SF soon (this week I hope) and our agent arch. is like yours - python, xml-rpc to theserver manager (ND's overlord equivalent)

I'd say it would be great if the Func agent ran everywhere. There's a need for uber-lightweight, scriptable tools like that. We've already got BSD, Arch, Debian, etc... so Windows should just take a bit of hacking to make the crypto management code detect the OS differences and fall in line. I'd definitely take patches on something like this (as long as the Linux stuff keeps working, of course!). The Python crypto libraries we are using should have Windows ports. So I'd say try it, and send a patch off when you think you have it working out. If you want to create some stuff to to generate a Windows installer (I'd recommend NSIS) for Funcd that would be great as well.

--Michael