Re: Planning for the system-config-* idea

cool - thanks for that explanation.  I am not a developer, and so once you've dumbed a topic down, dumb it down a little more and that'll be perfect for me :)

So, I am anxious to use some of func's stuff in NetDirector - espec. the features you mentioned.  And one of the things users have been asking us for forever is the ability to run their own scripts through ND - and so, if there's a way to get some economies of scale by having a shared script repo across func/ND, that would be cool.

As far as ND contribs to func, I'm wondering if there's a use case for windows support in func...we'll be putting a stable ND agent for windows on SF soon (this week I hope) and our agent arch. is like yours - python, xml-rpc to theserver manager (ND's overlord equivalent)

GW

On Feb 19, 2008 9:38 AM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Wallace wrote:
> Hey Michael,
>
> I read the ditty on this functionality.  I think there's a lot of very
> good ideas there.  Where you suggest that the proposed functionality
> sounds like Webmin, I would say no, it sound like NetDirector.

--snip--

Well, not really.   Different use cases.   Certaintly you could use
Func's tools and APIs and security systems to build a NetDirector, but
this is specifically about remoting the system-config-* apps with
bare-minimum simplicity.   Personally I think the enterprise management
software thing has been beat to death so I don't really want to build
another using Func just yet :)

 From the Net Director Page:

"""
NetDirector Server Manager runs Java servelets on the Tomcat java
application server. Data can then be stored in either a MySQL or
PostgresSQL database. The NetDirector Server Manager has two types of
logins, admin and user logins.
"""

This seems to target businesses to me.   Here we would be talking about
no application server, no database, and OS logins.   Running /straight/
out of the box, right after a "yum install" with zero configuration,
just visit the URL (hopefully with a shortcut already installed in the
menus), and you're off and running.

The issue is that the existing system-config-* apps, while always there,
are not remoteable, and could benefit from sharing just a bit more
code.   Plus, some of them are growing unmaintained and it would be nice
to explore what the next generation of those apps could be.    Ease of
setup /out of the box/ is the primary
driver, which is a bit different from the enterprise management kind of
use case.   GUIs would closely parallel system-config-* in terms of
functionality and also
in many cases what they look like.

This isn't about building yet another enterprise systems management app
per se, this is about fixing the Fedora/Desktop case.   For instance, as
much as I hate them, the discussion tends to come up that Windows
management tools (like the evil IIS configurator) are apparently
remoteable with GUIs (despite the fact that GUIs are not the best tool
for every job).  Our tools should be similarly shiny.   (Do I want to
write an Apache configurator?  No, but that's beside the point...)

We're still of course very interested in contributions to Func -- so any
patches you would like to submit, or module features, etc, are always
welcome.

I think where Func and NetDirector line up isn't in the area of FuncWeb,
but in NetDirector possibly using Func (and it's modules) for
communication, cert
exchange, logging, etc.

So you could still build the higher level more enterprisey application
on top of Func (if NetDirector wants to) -- but that shouldn't be
confused with the goals of FuncWeb.

--Michael

--
Greg