Re: func on freebsd

Angelo wrote:
On Dec 3, 2007 3:59 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    >     I just finished to write and test the bsd startup scripts.
    >     I will remove the installation of the (linux/bsd) startup
    scripts
    >     from the python setup and move them in the Makefile where I
    think
    >     to put a target `make port`.
    >     I will move the installation of the bsd startup scripts in the
    >     postinstall script but I am afraid I won't be the best
    person for
    >     do the same in rpm (but still I think this would be the best
    place).

    Angelo,

    Thanks again very much for looking at this.

    As it may be easier for us to maintain, can you rework your patch to
    make "bsd-port" directory under root?   I'm thinking we could keep
    the
    tweaked Makefiles, setup.py, init-scripts, and other
    BSD packaging items there -- and func could be built into CD'ing into
    that directory.

    cd bsd-port
    make # etc

    I'm thinking that may be easier to maintain as we don't have to be as
    concerned with cross-distro support in the Makefiles, and you could
    effectively maintain the port of all the scripts.  I do not expect
    they
    would change that much.

    .. snip ...

    https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/attachment/wiki/FuncReleases/func-0.13.tar.3.gz
    > I just get an html page or I need to force the URL with ?format=raw,
    > but I can't make it working from fetch/wget (Internal Server
    Error).

    http://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/func.git/?p=hosted/func.git;a=snapshot;h=b483a73ca70817f608f61eb2710feb203063c38b
    > <
    http://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/func.git/?p=hosted/func.git;a=snapshot;h=b483a73ca70817f608f61eb2710feb203063c38b>
    > so I didn't even try.
    > On freshmeat I only found a link for the rpm version.

    I am having trouble with that tarball link also.    Thanks for
    pointing
    this out...

    Meanwhile, you can just checkout from git ... ( git clone
    git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/hosted/func ).

    It would probably make sense to do a release in the next few weeks
    so we
    can look at uploading new tarballs then.

    > Another problem is that the "all" action for Makefile is to run
    "make
    > rpms", I had to change it in make install because Freebsd ports uses
    > the default action to compile the package (not sure how to
    modify it)
    > and I think this is the normal behavior of the most of the source
    > based package managers. The patch for Makefile is attached.

    Yeah, I think maintaining a seperate bsd-ports directory and
    keeping the
    RPM there might work just as well.   Do you mind making a patch
    modification that does this?

    I'd do it myself but I can't confirm the BSD stuff is correct :)

    > Just making the port working on an already downloaded and renamed
    > package, with a slighlty modified Makefile works fine, in fact I
    just
    > open the tar.gz and run "make; make install".
    >
    > Let me know what you think. If you agree with these changes I
    can go
    > on removing rh-specific stuff and from the next release I can
    provide
    > a port that automatically downloads the required files and
    install func.

    Above comments aside, this is a good idea -- and if you find any
    other
    RH-isms in the python code (i.e. requirement on smolt for
    hardware.py),
    let us know.   I think all of us have an interest
    in seeing this usuable in cross-OS installations, so this is goodness.
    Having the BSD port available would be fantastic.

    If you can tweak your patch to create a bsd directory full of setup
    files, versus modifying the ones we have, I'll definitely check it
    in.    Sound ok?

    Thanks!

    > Angelo

Hi,

sorry, wasn't online for a few days...
I think on the short term one patch that cleans the RH-ism and add one that adds the BSD stuff will be easy to produce and maintain. Doesn't look to me the cleanest way to do so but I do agree this is the quickest and less intrusive way right now.

I will put together the patches and try to produce sth working.

Thanks!

Any chances with the tar.gz available online? This might help a lot. I can still work on a local web server but this will work only for me. Git doesn't look really a solution to me since add a dependency from another versioning system to install func seems a bit heavy to me and will probably discourage the most of the users (don't want to start a flame on cvs-svn-git!).

Ports needs that to provide a way to download it, right. No problem. I'll see about re-uploading the tarball. Trac might have corrupted it or otherwise screwed it up somehow.

Thanks,
Angelo