Re: func on freebsd

On Dec 3, 2007 3:59 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I just finished to write and test the bsd startup scripts.
>     I will remove the installation of the (linux/bsd) startup scripts
>     from the python setup and move them in the Makefile where I think
>     to put a target `make port`.
>     I will move the installation of the bsd startup scripts in the
>     postinstall script but I am afraid I won't be the best person for
>     do the same in rpm (but still I think this would be the best place).

Angelo,

Thanks again very much for looking at this.

As it may be easier for us to maintain, can you rework your patch to
make "bsd-port" directory under root?   I'm thinking we could keep the
tweaked Makefiles, setup.py, init-scripts, and other
BSD packaging items there -- and func could be built into CD'ing into
that directory.

cd bsd-port
make # etc

I'm thinking that may be easier to maintain as we don't have to be as
concerned with cross-distro support in the Makefiles, and you could
effectively maintain the port of all the scripts.  I do not expect they
would change that much.

.. snip ...

> I am working on a freebsd port for automatize the installation, but I
> can't make it download directly the packages from the internet:
> Fetching the URL
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/attachment/wiki/FuncReleases/func-0.13.tar.3.gz
> I just get an html page or I need to force the URL with ?format=raw,
> but I can't make it working from fetch/wget (Internal Server Error).
> The url for downloading a snapshot from git seems to be http-session
> specific to me:
> http://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/func.git/?p=hosted/func.git;a=snapshot;h=b483a73ca70817f608f61eb2710feb203063c38b
> < http://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/func.git/?p=hosted/func.git;a=snapshot;h=b483a73ca70817f608f61eb2710feb203063c38b>
> so I didn't even try.
> On freshmeat I only found a link for the rpm version.

I am having trouble with that tarball link also.    Thanks for pointing
this out...

Meanwhile, you can just checkout from git ... ( git clone
git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/hosted/func ).

It would probably make sense to do a release in the next few weeks so we
can look at uploading new tarballs then.

> Another problem is that the "all" action for Makefile is to run "make
> rpms", I had to change it in make install because Freebsd ports uses
> the default action to compile the package (not sure how to modify it)
> and I think this is the normal behavior of the most of the source
> based package managers. The patch for Makefile is attached.

Yeah, I think maintaining a seperate bsd-ports directory and keeping the
RPM there might work just as well.   Do you mind making a patch
modification that does this?

I'd do it myself but I can't confirm the BSD stuff is correct :)

> Just making the port working on an already downloaded and renamed
> package, with a slighlty modified Makefile works fine, in fact I just
> open the tar.gz and run "make; make install".
>
> Let me know what you think. If you agree with these changes I can go
> on removing rh-specific stuff and from the next release I can provide
> a port that automatically downloads the required files and install func.

Above comments aside, this is a good idea -- and if you find any other
RH-isms in the python code (i.e. requirement on smolt for hardware.py),
let us know.   I think all of us have an interest
in seeing this usuable in cross-OS installations, so this is goodness.
Having the BSD port available would be fantastic.

If you can tweak your patch to create a bsd directory full of setup
files, versus modifying the ones we have, I'll definitely check it
in.    Sound ok?

Thanks!

> Angelo

Hi,

sorry, wasn't online for a few days...
I think on the short term one patch that cleans the RH-ism and add one that adds the BSD stuff will be easy to produce and maintain. Doesn't look to me the cleanest way to do so but I do agree this is the quickest and less intrusive way right now.

I will put together the patches and try to produce sth working.

Any chances with the tar.gz available online? This might help a lot. I can still work on a local web server but this will work only for me. Git doesn't look really a solution to me since add a dependency from another versioning system to install func seems a bit heavy to me and will probably discourage the most of the users (don't want to start a flame on cvs-svn-git!).

Thanks,
Angelo