Re: func on freebsd

    I just finished to write and test the bsd startup scripts.
    I will remove the installation of the (linux/bsd) startup scripts
    from the python setup and move them in the Makefile where I think
    to put a target `make port`.
    I will move the installation of the bsd startup scripts in the
    postinstall script but I am afraid I won't be the best person for
    do the same in rpm (but still I think this would be the best place).

Angelo,

Thanks again very much for looking at this.

As it may be easier for us to maintain, can you rework your patch to make "bsd-port" directory under root? I'm thinking we could keep the tweaked Makefiles, setup.py, init-scripts, and other BSD packaging items there -- and func could be built into CD'ing into that directory.

cd bsd-port
make # etc

I'm thinking that may be easier to maintain as we don't have to be as concerned with cross-distro support in the Makefiles, and you could effectively maintain the port of all the scripts. I do not expect they would change that much.

.. snip ...

I am working on a freebsd port for automatize the installation, but I can't make it download directly the packages from the internet: Fetching the URL https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/func/attachment/wiki/FuncReleases/func-0.13.tar.3.gz I just get an html page or I need to force the URL with ?format=raw, but I can't make it working from fetch/wget (Internal Server Error). The url for downloading a snapshot from git seems to be http-session specific to me: http://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/func.git/?p=hosted/func.git;a=snapshot;h=b483a73ca70817f608f61eb2710feb203063c38b <http://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/func.git/?p=hosted/func.git;a=snapshot;h=b483a73ca70817f608f61eb2710feb203063c38b> so I didn't even try.
On freshmeat I only found a link for the rpm version.

I am having trouble with that tarball link also. Thanks for pointing this out...

Meanwhile, you can just checkout from git ... ( git clone git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/hosted/func ). It would probably make sense to do a release in the next few weeks so we can look at uploading new tarballs then.

Another problem is that the "all" action for Makefile is to run "make rpms", I had to change it in make install because Freebsd ports uses the default action to compile the package (not sure how to modify it) and I think this is the normal behavior of the most of the source based package managers. The patch for Makefile is attached.

Yeah, I think maintaining a seperate bsd-ports directory and keeping the RPM there might work just as well. Do you mind making a patch modification that does this?

I'd do it myself but I can't confirm the BSD stuff is correct :)

Just making the port working on an already downloaded and renamed package, with a slighlty modified Makefile works fine, in fact I just open the tar.gz and run "make; make install".

Let me know what you think. If you agree with these changes I can go on removing rh-specific stuff and from the next release I can provide a port that automatically downloads the required files and install func.

Above comments aside, this is a good idea -- and if you find any other RH-isms in the python code (i.e. requirement on smolt for hardware.py), let us know. I think all of us have an interest in seeing this usuable in cross-OS installations, so this is goodness. Having the BSD port available would be fantastic.

If you can tweak your patch to create a bsd directory full of setup files, versus modifying the ones we have, I'll definitely check it in. Sound ok?

Thanks!

Angelo