Re: func on freebsd

On Nov 28, 2007 8:53 PM, Michael DeHaan <mdehaan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Angelo wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> a couple of days ago I downloaded a snapshot of the code from the
> repository and succesfully ran commands through the command module on
> Freebsd 6.2 and 7.0, wasn't that surprise after a glance at the code
> but still was nice to see it working.
> I was really impressed by the tool and appreciate the fact that is
> kept quite platform independent, although I have a couple of
> suggestions to make it running potentially on every host (well, didn't
> tried w1n yet..)
>
> Working on non RPM distros is not really hard since a `make install`
> does not involve any rpm tools; still, the system installs a couple of
> redhat-like init scripts in /etc/init.d/ that are useless and confusing.
>
> I strongly suggest to keep the core of the system untied by any distro
> or even os and then packaging (or letting others packaging) it adding
> the needed startup scripts etc..
>

> I didn't try other modules like hardware or service but I am pretty
> sure they will fail. Probably is not possible to write a clean
> hardware module that runs on any platform, in this case I wonder if
> it's better to rename those modules to something like rh_service and
> rh_hardware.

As they would return different data, most likely.

A better suggestion might be to make the smolt module just be called
"smolt", and the hal module just "hal", that way we don't have to
specify distro stuff when commands do work on multiple distributions
(ex: Debian)
right, a consistent layer would be the cleanest way.

> I really like the way the yum module is separated by the rest of the
> system and allows people to expand func writing interfaces for apt,
> portage or any other package system.
>
> Ok, no more complaints :-) func seems great to me and I am interested
> to start using it in the management of a few bsd servers, I shouldn't
> take too long to package it and write startup scripts, if somebody
> wants them.

Would love to have them.   If you'd like to take a shot at making other
things more portable as well, please go ahead.
I just finished to write and test the bsd startup scripts.
I will remove the installation of the (linux/bsd) startup scripts from the python setup and move them in the Makefile where I think to put a target `make port`.
I will move the installation of the bsd startup scripts in the postinstall script but I am afraid I won't be the best person for do the same in rpm (but still I think this would be the best place).

Also you're welcome to join #func on irc.freenode.net if you haven't
already.
I will as soon as I have a minute: I am leaving my job and these are the last days..

(Speaking of func, I really should start/finish the command multiplexer
soon to make it nice and extra speedy)

> (hope not to start a flame :p )

Not a problem, those were good suggestions!   Thanks!

--Michael

> thanks,
> Angelo

Angelo Rossi
Bluemetrix Ltd
Northpoint House
Northpoint Business Park
Mallow Road
Cork
Ireland

Ph: +353 021 4640107
Fax: +353 21 4309131
Web: www.bluemetrix.com

The content of this e-mail may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the named addressee or the intended recipient please do not copy it or forward it to anyone. If you have received this email in error please destroy it and kindly notify the sender. Email cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, it is your responsibility to ensure that the message (including attachments) is safe and authorised for use in your environment. Bluemetrix Ltd, Registered in Ireland at Northpoint House, Northpoint Business Park, Mallow Road, Cork

Co Reg No.: 335879