Re: func on freebsd

Angelo wrote:
Hi list,

a couple of days ago I downloaded a snapshot of the code from the repository and succesfully ran commands through the command module on Freebsd 6.2 and 7.0, wasn't that surprise after a glance at the code but still was nice to see it working. I was really impressed by the tool and appreciate the fact that is kept quite platform independent, although I have a couple of suggestions to make it running potentially on every host (well, didn't tried w1n yet..)

Working on non RPM distros is not really hard since a `make install` does not involve any rpm tools; still, the system installs a couple of redhat-like init scripts in /etc/init.d/ that are useless and confusing.

I strongly suggest to keep the core of the system untied by any distro or even os and then packaging (or letting others packaging) it adding the needed startup scripts etc..

I didn't try other modules like hardware or service but I am pretty sure they will fail. Probably is not possible to write a clean hardware module that runs on any platform, in this case I wonder if it's better to rename those modules to something like rh_service and rh_hardware.

As they would return different data, most likely.

A better suggestion might be to make the smolt module just be called "smolt", and the hal module just "hal", that way we don't have to specify distro stuff when commands do work on multiple distributions (ex: Debian)

I really like the way the yum module is separated by the rest of the system and allows people to expand func writing interfaces for apt, portage or any other package system.

Ok, no more complaints :-) func seems great to me and I am interested to start using it in the management of a few bsd servers, I shouldn't take too long to package it and write startup scripts, if somebody wants them.

Would love to have them. If you'd like to take a shot at making other things more portable as well, please go ahead.

Also you're welcome to join #func on irc.freenode.net if you haven't already.

(Speaking of func, I really should start/finish the command multiplexer soon to make it nice and extra speedy)

(hope not to start a flame :p )

Not a problem, those were good suggestions!   Thanks!

--Michael

thanks,
Angelo