Re: next steps...

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:12:23 -0400
Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> seth vidal (skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
> > Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > That doesn't quite jive with the way spot presented formulas and
> > > ansible as the new black in his recent presentations, including
> > > nice-looking mockups of desktop apps, and whatnot.
> >
> > I have no idea what you're talking about here.
>
> Spot's discussion (at DevConf) of an improved software selection
> screen suggested formulas as a potential backend of that aside from
> just raw packages.
>
> Now, in some respects it might be better off to have one interface for
> adding end-user applications to the system (such as that tool) and
> another for adding services that are exposed to other systems (such
> as... a wrapper around formulas?)  But then you're designing two
> separate use cases.

I really have no idea what this tool is purported to look like or
who/what is working on it.

I thought formulas was about making it easy and simple for folks to try
out software from fedora and to start developing using fedora.

Essentially, to make it easy to try out fedora for the use case where
we matter - as a server or a devel platform.

I based my thoughts on my conversations with Kevin (who suggested
formulas to begin with). So I don't think I'm out in left field here.

If that's not what formulas is then I'll just walk away from this list
and formulas and do the stuff I care about on my own.

> (For a server-oriented GUI around this, you could consider something
> like http://bitnami.org/stacks).

was really hoping for opensourceness but <shrug>

So to make sure I understand you - you're saying b/c bitnami exists we
shouldn't bother working on anything like this for fedora?

great...

-sv