Re: Welcome and discussion starter

On Feb 13, 2013 9:37 AM, "Kevin Fenzi" <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip)

> Yes to all this.
>
> Also, I would really like a command line version of the tool that
> exists on the end user machine. (in addition to the gui one).
>
> Much of the presentation layer could fit into a larger "software
> center" type thing as well. There's been talk of such a project, and
> if there's any movement on it we could perhaps leverage that for
> formulas as well.
>
> kevin

The "software center" - we *should* come up with a catchy and unique name when the time comes - is exactly what I would like to see. Specifically, on a public hosted Web interface, instead of a local application. We would get hits from searches for "Installing Apache on Fedora 18" and the like, and perhaps put our offerings on display for potential users.

That said, I agree that a command line implementation, and a standardized definition of a Formula, should be the immediate priority, until the content is matured enough to present.

On competing CM solutions, I think we should pick one. Ansible seems the best choice, based on my limited expertise. I also see no problem with presenting other choices, as in "This formula is also available as a puppet module. " The majority of users will be administering their own machine only, so the most benefit to the most users would come from a solution that tailored to that use case. Really, the type of people deploying puppet in scale don't need us to churn out modules for them.

--Pete