Re: Welcome and discussion starter

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:52:36 PM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Welcome everyone.
>
> I'm sure many of you have seen:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_formulas
> and
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-January/176011.html
>
> but if not, please do go scan through those.
>
> I'd like to start discussion here on a number of things we should
> decide and figure out and design before we start digging into too many
> implementation details.
>
> I'd like to suggest we work on the assumption that a formula is a
> signed tag/commits in a git repo. I think making formulas rpms is going
> to be too much overhead for us.
>
> I think it might be best to look at rules/guidelines we want to have
> first, keeping them as high level above implementation details as we
> can at this point.
>
> I'll start with a stawman for people to add to/pick apart:
>
> * Must use packages from the package collection, installed with the
>   normal distro tools.
>
> * Must not change non config files in those packages. ie, only can
>   change files marked config in the package management system or add
>   new files.
>
> * Can depend on other formulas having been applied.
>
> * Can conflict with other formulas. ("Sorry, you have apache server
>   formula installed, so lighthttpd cannot be run")
>
> * Must have an 'uninstall' method. (return config, remove packages)
>
> * May be interactive and ask users questions, but should also include
>   a set of default answers that can be used with --nointeractive.
>
> * Must log when they were run / possibly output.
>
> * Must have a detailed use case/description.
>
> * Your idea here.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> kevin
- --
I've been thinking of implementation, in general terms. A lot of the details
would fall out if a few preliminary goals are established, and the replies so
far have come from a necessarily technical perspective. Allow me to offer
another, on presentation:

Who is the target audience for formulas? We can roughly group the user base
into two areas: end users and experienced users. I would group the average
desktop linux enthusiast in the former, and include the majority of Fedora
contributors, system administrators, and wizened enthusiasts in the latter.

Targeting the end user would require a lot more effort in presentation, but
would provide a bigger payoff in terms of marketing value and user draw.
Targeting the latter would allow a much easier implementation - really, we
would just have to agree on a common style and guidelines for shipping
playbooks and put them in a git repo to be cloned.

Without solid presentation, we will expending effort to the exclusion of less
experienced users. I propose that from the beginning, Formulas should be
implemented with the intent of making their use as easy as clicking the link
to download a spin. I think that we can agree that drawing more users to
Fedora is generally a Good Thing, and that Formulas could help keep the
contributor funnel full.

So, a Formula should contain:
	- an ansible playbook
	- any required ansible templates
	- descriptive content in html using a defined template, or in a format
translatable to html
	- a fun banner image
	- indexable metadata

The presentation layer should provide:
	- a browseable, searchable interface built from Formula metadata
	- a rating system, to promote involvement
	- a moderated comment system, to promote involvement
		(although comments can detract from perceived professionalism)
	- a script to crawl through the git source and create and index the
content
	- individual Formula pages displaying the above mentioned descriptive
content, with direct links to the playbook file itself
	- a GUI URI handler to guide the user through the interactive portions of
the formula, and to promote a sense of accomplishment

- -- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader
 - 'randomuser' on freenode
 - immanetize@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx