Re: Welcome and discussion starter

> > Being flexible is important, both to those who create as well as those
> > who will use formulas. If we stick to one configuration management
> > system, we lose some flexibility and choice. It seems ansible is the
> > choice most want, but what is the harm in having alternates available?
>
> I think the harm is confusion, spreading of resources and difficulty in
> testing/qa/infrastructure. If we have a base set of templates for say
> ansible, and someone makes a formula in puppet, that could very well
> behave differently.

I suspect they would end up behaving differently despite our best attempts and intentions.  For example:

https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/7165

I don't mean to pick on puppet specifically, just to illustrate that you can't always get what you ask for.  If this bug affected a formula, for good or bad, things are certainly going to change once that bug is resolved and despite your best efforts, you now have new and different behavior.  If we stick with just one CM platform, we minimize these kind of undesired variations.
--
John Florian