Re: Welcome and discussion starter

Kevin Fenzi (kevin@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> > That's what I figured.  So the question(s) simply comes down to, "Do
> > we want the formulas to be applied perpetually, or just initially?"
> > If just initially, should the formulas provide support for handling
> > updates to existing deployments as those formulas evolve?
>
> An excellent question. ;)
>
> I guess my instinct is to just target initial setup. If something is
> improved/changed in the formula they could re-run it and get those
> improvements. But the issue would be:
>
> run LAMP stack formula
> use it, setup some sites, reconfigure things as you want them
> new formula version comes out.
> re-run new formula
>
> Does the new formula then mess up your existing config?
> Or can we have things setup in such a way that we don't touch it if
> it's been further configured, but this opens up a pretty big can of
> worms.

I think an initial goal would be that any updated formula changes
the package set accordingly, but doesn't touch the configuration.

Perhaps it should even operate on the principle that it never touches
the configuration unless it's already RPM-clean? (i.e., not changed
since package installation.)

Bill