Re: Welcome and discussion starter

> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>
> I'd like to suggest we work on the assumption that a formula is a
> signed tag/commits in a git repo. I think making formulas rpms is going
> to be too much overhead for us.

I think this makes a lot of sense.  Maybe someday way down the road, if this all pans out nicely and things stabilize, rpms might make sense.

I agree with all your bullet points too.

One issue I didn't see covered is how should things be handled when an formula has been applied, but has since been updated.  Sure you can 'git pull', but then what?  I still haven't had a chance to play with ansible, but will be soon so I'm not sure where this goes from there.  With something like puppet, the formula/recipe/manifest thingy is intended to be idempotent so that reapplying to things already in the correct state is harmless, yet if the manifest has been changed then the targeted resources will be affected accordingly.

I guess for that matter, this brings up another basic point that should be made.  Are the formulas intended to manage the initial setup only and then are no longer needed or are they intended to be used to enforce the setup for the lifetime of the deployment?

--
John Florian