Re: Move web repo to pagure - considerations

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 07:00:50PM +1000, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> On 02/25/2016 07:08 PM, Robert Mayr wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >in the last weeks we had some discussions on IRC about moving the
> >webrepository from fedorahosted to pagure and I also filed a ticket [1] to
> >collect opinions about this proposal. There are several advantages for us
> >to move over there and we will start moving with the next release cycle,
> >which has started these days (we will branch during weekend or next week
> >probably).
> >I've set up a testing repository [2] where I also wrote some docs to test
> >how this would look like. It is working really fine and having a unique
> >place for all our stuff where we can easily handle PRs is a big
> >enhancement.
> >
> >At this point there are several opinions about how to move to pagure.
> >Personally I want to reduce the weight of the web-repo, which is about
> >660MB or better, 870Mb uncompressed. Not only we have many branches in
> >there, the reason of all these MBs are static binaries and mainly images
> >we collected over all the last years.
> >If we want to solve this problem, we have two options, in both cases all
> >team members MUST rebase or even reclone the repository:
> >
> >1) We can run a "git gc --aggressive" on the repo, but a test (thanks nb)
> >confirmed we would not save too much space. Pros for this solution are:
> >* people can just rebase and setup the new pagure URL in the git config
> >file
> >* we keep all history and commit credits
> >* we can keep also branches where we have ongoing development
> >
> >2) We could start a complete new repository, which would give us also the
> >possibility to delete many heavy binaries we are not using at all. We
> >would probably end up with an uncompressed size of less than 200MB. There
> >are several cons, but in this specific moment we are able to handle them:
> >* we will loose commit credits and history ^
> >* we cannot build any other branch than master and f24-alpha ^^
> >* all members MUST reclone the repository (has the advantage that it would
> >be a clean solution and it will be much faster than now)
> >
> >^ fedorahosted.org <http://fedorahosted.org> would be still there and if
> >needed we can look in the web UI if we need to find out how things changed
> >in a specific commit. Also, people can obviously keep the old fedora-web
> >repo locally and use it for investigations. Commit credits could be saved
> >in a CREDITS file we can put into the new repo.
> >^^ Actually all websites are built against master branch and we would
> >build staging with f24-alpha. Our devel branches are just 2, both of them
> >can be merged to master without creating conflicts or risks to break our
> >production websites.
> >
> >All this said, personally I'd really like to go for a new repository and
> >archive all the stuff we have now in the old fedorahosted.org
> ><http://fedorahosted.org> repo. Any opinions about that? Other ideas or
> >concerns?

> [...]

I don't have strong feelings about this.  But I think from the POV of
a casual user who finds a bug, it could be more difficult to know
where to file if the sites are split up.  Unless... perhaps the footer
of the site, or some recurring area, could have a direct link to file
a website bug?