Re: New download pages, brainstorming

2013/8/30 Sijis Aviles <sijis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/29/2013 05:59 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> > It's nice to have a brochure site (and I think the one we have is really
>> > nice!), but I'd love to have the main landing site for both contributors
>> > and
>> > users be more active
>>
>> But users and contributors necessarily have different goals and thus
>> different tasks, so I'm not sure how/why one site should (or could)
>> serve both?

I think contributors are also end-users, we shouldn't separate them
strictly. As user and contributor I'd like to have a better main site,
from where it's possible to access, if I like to, specific sites for
contributors (wiki, fedorahosted, etc). As Matthew said, I also have a
long list in my bookmarks, just because the sites are not linked
together the right way.
For sure these links should be more hidden, the main links and tabs
should be and remain for end users and new users.

>> > -- something more like the Fedora Magazine site, with
>> > frequently-updated curated content,
>> > and with related sites depending on type
>> > of interaction.
>>
>> The point behind the current www.fpo site was that the content would be
>> more frequently updated and curated, but the problem is that nobody
>> stepped up to actually do that work (despite a couple of attempts). Thus
>> we have pretty much all of the same exact tutorials and interviews that
>> I wrote for the initial G.A. in - 2009 I think? Just because the content
>> is stale now, doesn't mean if we redid it that it wouldn't get stale in
>> another 3-4 years. There is a problem with the content, sure, but it's
>> not the design, and I'm wary of building another one for more content to
>> grow stale in.
>

> The content on the 'Using' pages is truly sad.its probably the most
> disappointing part of the site.
> I'm on the current mindset if we can't keep it updated, let's just remove
> it. We could pass on this fresh content generation onto Fedora Magazine (and
> maybe rss feed it back to fp.o).

Yeah, that would be great. That way the content would be updated more
often (not only every 3-4 years and yes, Máirín, you're right it's the
same as 2009) and the websites team can care about implementing this
content the best way.

>> 1) Create a drop-down menu on our main page, ...
>
> I believe most of the site is using 'tabs' type design not drop downs, so
> I don't think it will 'fit' with what is already in place.

You're right, if necessary we can use tabs. Let's abandon the drop down menu ;)

>> 2) Drop the get-fedora-all page completely!
>
> I'm not against this.

The content we have on get-fedora-all can easily be added to
get-fedora-options, which has become our main download site after
get-fedora. Moreover it's not easy to find the get-fedora-all page,
it's a pretty small link on the sidebar and some users don't find it
actually.

>> Finally I'd like to have all spins on spins.fp.o, which means we have
> to include our spin page better in our main fedoraproject.org site to
> have the same effect as now.
>
> Not sure what you mean, but it would be good to show all the available
> spins, even
> older ones. Not sure what happened to the stats, although we had a hack in
> place
> to have it working. We'll have to rethink that a bit without having the
> torrent info available.

As said before the idea is to make the spins.fpo link more visible and
dropping the SoaS and other spins we have on the
get-fedora-options#spins tab. I don't know if it's a good idea having
older spins available, they are often based on EOL releases and it
wouldn't be correct promoting spins to end users which don't have any
support.
The stats were dropped beacuse the counter gets only the torrent
download from the spins.fpo site; indeed it's not a good publicity if
users see KDE with a total download of 60 or 70 for F19... (and it's
the spin with most downloads, you can immagine the others)

>> 3) Use the get-fedora page to promote all the shipping methods ...
>
> This sorta reminds me of a new 'get-fedora-all' page.
> There is definitely some improvement needed here. I do like the accordion
> look on opensuse [1].
> What i like is that you select what you need, then find the appropriate
> format, as
> opposed to search for format, then find what you are looking for. As a side
> thought,
> would be nice to 'filter' by formats within the same page.

No, not like fedora-all or opensuse, more like a
"download-landing-page" where users get filtered accordingly to what
they are searching for.

>> 4) Sidebar ...
>
> I'm not against adding other buttons ...

Let's at least add the links to social media where we are present.

> Sijis
>
> [1] - http://software.opensuse.org/123/en

Thank you for all these ideas and feedback, some of them are really
nice and why not continue on these proposals and make them happen.
Talking about the wiki here is a little bit off topic, we all know the
wiki is very useful but needs improvements and there is already a
topic dedicated to this. Thanks Chris 'croberts' for working on this
:)

Greetings.

--
Robert Mayr