Re: New download pages, brainstorming

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 05:20:28PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> fedoraproject.org is almost really a splash or like a brochure for new
> and prospective Fedora users right now. I guess we have to figure out if
> this is okay and if we should improve it based on that current
> understanding or should we change our basic understanding of the
> function it serves?

It's nice to have a brochure site (and I think the one we have is really
nice!), but I'd love to have the main landing site for both contributors and
users be more active -- something more like the Fedora Magazine site, with
frequently-updated curated content, and with related sites depending on type
of interaction. I think these are

  - learn more -> brochure site, including who we are and how to get involved
  - get fedora -> download or launch the fedora products
  - user docs & help -> docs.fedora, user-focused wiki* , ask fedora
  - contributor tools -> all sorts of stuff. Usually here I'm looking for
                   a specific task-based thing. I want to find packaging
                   info, or file a ticket for some subproject or sig, or
                   create a new change page. Right now I have a tree of
                   bookmarks for this, which I think is probably a sign
                   of something not right.

  * we currently don't have a user-focused wiki! We have some user-focused
    things mixed in with the contributor-focused wiki, and it's confusing
    and scary. I mean scary for me, let alone new users!

> How much do we want to promote spins? Beyond KDE, are any of the spins
> really widely used? How many are well-maintained? It doesn't look like
> the download numbers are listed on the site anymore.

I think this is changing with the new proposal. I'm not sure exactly what it
will mean for non-default targets, but overall I think it will mean that
their promotion will be more independent -- up to their individual SIGs /
project teams.

> Same here, I will start thinking about this, and maybe we can go to the
> board or fesco and ask for some guidance.

Yes please! (Not so much just asking for guidance, but I'd love to talk more
about all of this.)

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>