New download pages, brainstorming

Dear websites members and contributors,
I want to share my ideas about a restyling of our download pages and
try to collect other opinions and thoughts in order to realize a
user-friendlier and nicer download page management.
Actually we have also an input from FESCo to make the Cloud Images
more visible [1], so, why not remake the pages of the other arches
too?

Our actual download pages are still remanends from older methods of
shipping Fedora. We had 6 or 7 CDs, spins and some netinstall CDs, but
now the arches and formats are much more and we are creating
confusion. This leads to misunderstandings and we are also not able to
promote all the arches the right way.

Actually we have 4 download pages on fp.o:

get-fedora
get-fedora-options
get-fedora-all
get-prerelease

and we have also http://spins.fedoraproject.org !

My thought would be to:

1) Create a drop-down menu on our main page, where we can also add in
the next months other important changes (fedoramagazine, features,
etc), to help users to find their desired format or spin faster than
now. I'm adding a mockup for this here. [2]

2) Drop the get-fedora-all page completely!
This doesn't mean I don't want it's content. I'd think more of having
no more duplicates (some spins are available on 2 or more pages) and
complete our very nice get-fedora-options page with missing
informations.
Finally I'd like to have all spins on spins.fp.o, which means we have
to include our spin page better in our main fedoraproject.org site to
have the same effect as now.

3) Use the get-fedora page to promote all the shipping methods
The clearest method to do so IMHO would be to drop also the right
random banners we have on the sidebar (Desktop, 2nd-arches, Cloud,
Spins) and to put them into the get-fedora page. See a mockup here
[3], althoough it's not complete (obviously I don't want to have the
2nd-arches banner alone there and will make them nicer when writing
the code). The banners should link to the tabs in get-fedora-options
or to our spins page and give users a clear idea of what is available.

Same for get-pre-release:we can continue to promote it easily on the
get-fedora page and we could also advertise it better on our main page
(drop down menu).

4) Sidebar: if we want to go ahead with this kind of restyling we can
drop a lot of stuff on our sidebar, like the rotating banners and the
events.
Instead of it why not use something nicer? Badges or social networks
for example? Look at this mockup [4], I'd love it.

I have created a dedicated branch (web-dl-redesign) to work on and try
to have it all running and ready for production within F20 GA Release.

Please let me know your thoughts, your ideas and improvements, I'd be
also happy if someone wants to help me with this part of work. Kévin
(shaiton) will do the background scripting part (thx) to have our
variables running the right way also for a completely new download
pages management.
And thanks to Maria (tatica) for her drop down menu mockup ;)

Cheers

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-websites/ticket/223
[2] http://paste.opensuse.org/75250426
[3] http://paste.opensuse.org/94023207