Re: Wiki Business

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Nigel Jones wrote:

Hi all, two items of business that I want to bring up

1) We now have a bot on the wiki, appropriately named Wikibot, this can be used for general repetitive tasks such as en-mass addition of categories to pages, and some general clean-up tasks that needs to/should happen once in a while.

Woo!

2) Some pages are getting a bit too big, while some are getting useless as time goes on (information for EOL releases. As such I propose the addition of two new name spaces...

a) Archive: (without talk pages)
Purpose - To allow archiving wiki pages pertaining to EOL releases, and/or are no longer relevant to the general user Benefits - With proper setup (not searched by default for instance) we can help speed up searches and remove old information from general end users, BUT still be there for those interested. Pages like the old Extras and FSA pages come to mind immediately.

It's either this, or delete 'em. You can also do some hacks with
MediaWiki to automatically include something on a page depending on the
namespace; I know it's possible, but I'd have to look into it more.

+1

b) Meeting: (with talk pages)
Purpose - Allow some separation of end-user based content and board/committee/group meeting logs Benefits - Marginal, similar to the purpose of Archive though, basically, somewhere to keep meeting logs in a place where they can be optionally searched but not by default

+1

An alternative to a meeting name space is with proper logging of the meeting channels automatically posting meeting logs on Fedora People (or similar).

We not only don't have this *yet*, but also I think it would still be
good for the future-bot to talk to Wikibot and get the pages on the wiki
automatically... with talk pages, of course.

You bring up another excellent point here, though -- the process for
proposing namespaces and getting them decided on and processed. Maybe
Karsten can provide some input here (nudge, nudge).

As for the large pages, well we have pages that are well in excess of the 32KB recommended by the Mediawiki folk, stuff like https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ChristianIseli/PackageReviewStatus (200KB+) would be better suited to Fedora People, but we don't really have any mandate on this. (it'd be nice to have one).

What we need is a mandate to keep pages below 32 KB. That means either
splitting them up into separate pages, or storing them elsewhere.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@xxxxxxxxx>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36