Re: "Default" spin of Fedora

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 22:24 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Kevin Kofler a écrit :
> 1. Do we really want to highlight a "default" spin on the front page,
> effectively hiding the others ?

I think it is *very* important to emphasize a default spin, not
necessarily by hiding others, but to make sure casual Fedora users do
not run away when confronted by a choice they're not ready to make.

To quote a wikipedia article I skimmed today:

|« The "Sculley Era" at Apple was characterized by market division and
further subdivision, with a large number of models  [...] This strategy
backfired, as it resulted in high [...] marketing costs, as well as
market confusion. Buyers would look at similar machines in a store, each
conceived for a particular market but usable elsewhere, and with
comparable performance specifications, and become confused as to which
product to buy. »

Nicolas,

This is a bit of a challenge, because it seems that the official line for the target audience for Fedora is the "FOSS enthusiast", which might limit how "casual" we would expect our users to actually be.  Paul emphasized that this doesn't mean we expect someone to be a kernel hacker, but I think the other extreme might also be excluded.

http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/16918.html?thread=47894#t47894

I hope I am understanding this wrong, though, because I very much would like Fedora to be something that can make someone into a FOSS enthusiastic by making it easy for them to try it without having much prior experience.