Re: feeds mock-up for front page

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 16:39 -0500, Juan Camilo Prada Ojeda wrote:

> I like the design and it would fit  perfectly with the probably new
> ideas for fp.o.
>
> Also i did a mockup some time ago with only one single column having
> all the feed news. If you are interested you can check the code (i
> uploaded the whole website but havent built it so you should download
> it and build it yourself, sorry about that) ->
> http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/fedora-web/fedoraproject.org/
>
> this is how it looks ->
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/2251189805_ae158b7fd0_o.png

Right!  That's the other way I was thinking, breaking out a third
column.  I'm not entirely done thinking about it, but I think I prefer
the two-column with the feeds down the page a bit.  I know it doesn't
highlight them the same way, though.  Maybe we can try out some
variations on how the third column is done, such as pushing it down so
the first item is on the same level as About Fedora?  I'll see if I can
get some time.

I would be inclined to watch click-through statistics on that page for a
while, see what people are interested in, and focus on making that part
easiest to get to.  Not sure if we can track that though, so it becomes
our best guess choice.

How about we give ourselves ~7 days to discuss and iterate on some
designs and then put up the best one?

> the script is functional and parses the latest news from the given
> feeds and it order them by its parse time

Also not sure about this, but I wanted to find a way to identify the
source of the feed.  Maybe an icon on the side instead of breaking them
out into separate little columns like I did?  The feed would look a bit
like a Mugshot stacker that way:

http://phig.members.sonic.net/screenshots/mugshot-stacker-example.png

I could probably make that work in your copy; is that updated against
the current content in the websites repository?

> BTW, i think we had discussed this things a few times with ricky, and
> we agreed that changes to the site would be better to do them after
> having a meeting to get the team know about changes and having people
> involved in the process, although ive never heard of the meeting and
> im still waiting

I think we can work these things out on list.  But I'm not exactly sure
which pieces you both mean.  Change management?  Process for approving
and implementing ideas?

Maybe we want to continue with the lightest possible process for now,
then move toward what Infrastructure does?

Are we worried about chaos?  There is a risk that we'll end up with
sites designed by committees, but that risk is always there. :)

Meanwhile, we can surely identify some of our top priorities and make
them happen.  Since this one is a priority for me, I'm making it happen
as I can. :)

- Karsten

--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.