Re: feeds mock-up for front page

2008/3/13, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Recently I took the task of getting a few feeds hosted on the front page
of fedoraproject.org.  To do that I opened a ticket[1], learned that the
code is available to do this, and here are mock-ups of what that could
look like:

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org/websites/front-page-feed-mock-up/mock-up-fp.o-with-feeds.png
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org/websites/front-page-feed-mock-up/fedoraproject.org.html
  ^-- (actual updated content and CSS in use above)

The design is a bit of a strawman, in that it is there for you to spring
other ideas from and don't worry about tearing it down; I see problems
with it but I'm not going to tweak it any further at this point.  I was
originally thinking of stacking the feeds in a side bar, but I figured
we could sneak it in and lose 60% of the 120 pixels of whitespace from
the bottom of the #content area and not squeeze the page horizontally.

Any objection to the idea of putting some feeds that are specifically
useful to Fedorans on the fedoraproject.org front page?

What do you think about adding these to start.fedoraproject.org?

I like the design and it would fit  perfectly with the probably new ideas for fp.o.

Also i did a mockup some time ago with only one single column having all the feed news. If you are interested you can check the code (i uploaded the whole website but havent built it so you should download it and build it yourself, sorry about that) -> http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/fedora-web/fedoraproject.org/

this is how it looks -> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/2251189805_ae158b7fd0_o.png

the script is functional and parses the latest news from the given feeds and it order them by its parse time

BTW, i think we had discussed this things a few times with ricky, and we agreed that changes to the site would be better to do them after having a meeting to get the team know about changes and having people involved in the process, although ive never heard of the meeting and im still waiting