Re: getting out of bridge mode

Tim:
>> If it's an ISP-supplied one, it's a good chance that a hard reset
>> will return things to the ISP-configuration rather than manufacturer's
>> default.  It's a risk, but that's the general way they work here
>> (supplied pre-configured to suit their little foibles).

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Agreed. I've even been told to do this by my ISP's support guy. YMMV
> of course.

And something I've flatly refused to do when trying to get my ISP to
fix something that's wrong with their system, not mine.

*My* DHCP server is not in the router, it's on my computer, where it
actually works properly and obeys my commands.  Switching it back on in
the router will stuff up my network.  There'll be address fights, and
isolated devices which have fixed IPs.  My network IP range is
different from the router, and I'm not going to reconfigure 20+ things
on the LAN to suit it.

I don't use their WiFi SSID and password.  The SSID is barely
distinguishable from the neighbours (plural).  The password is crap,
and painful to type.  The band steering causes more problems than it's
supposed to cure.

If there's a dumb way to set up a device, an ISP will do it.

ISPs get a hard "NO" from me and have to be very forcefully moved onto
the next step on their script.  I know how to do networking (the script
jockey probably doesn't have a clue).  I know how to diagnose whether
it's my network or theirs.  I will tell them to reset their equipment.
I will already have done all the rebooting and resetting on any of my
gear before even calling them about a fault.  Took months to force them
into replacing their faulty fibre modem which had also been emitting a
burning smell.  In the meantime they wasted hours of my time and
theirs, and money in doing all sorts of unrelated things but fix the
fault.

Initially they wanted me to do on-line text chatting through a web
browser.  They couldn't understand that /that/ can't be done with a
non-functioning internet.  I'd also, previously, discovered that you're
chatting with a robot, it throws instructions at you based on keywords,
in the vain hope that it provides the right answer to some queries.  I
suspect they've expanded that fake AI even more, considering their
recently lay-off of thousands of staff.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.118.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 24 16:01:50 UTC 2024 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.