Re: how long does dnf system-upgrade take?

On Sun, Apr 14, 2024 at 7:16 AM Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2024-04-13 at 17:37 -0400, Fulko Hew wrote:
> > On Sat, 2024-04-13 at 13:29 -0700, Fulko Hew wrote:
> > > I don't update my Fedora systems unless I have a real need,
> > > so yesterday I started updating from F35 to F38

Just as an aside: leaving a two year old Fedora system without updating
is definitely not recommended. F35, F36 and F37 are all EOLed and don't
get even critical security updates. With F40 due for release soon, F38
will also fall into that category in a month or two.

Thanks for giving me the guts to do a brute force power cycle
in the apparent middle of an upgrade in progress.
(FYI.  The upgrade to F39 also hung at the boot message,
 and it too needed a power-cycle to successfully boot.)

Now on to the philosophy issue. 'Why the delay in upgrades?'
In the beginning (25+ years ago) there was no such thing as upgrades,
only re-installs, so the process of reconfiguring and migrating
private data and apps was tedious (on the order of days).
So I wanted to avoid that.  The pains were not worth the benefits.

Then in corporate life, I needed to ensure a stable development
environment.  Upgrades still didn't exist, migrating whole
development environments was a pain. But testing on other
distributions and/or releases was relatively easy.
(My longest gap, and most productive time, was deferring re-installs
until it was F8 directly to F20)

F25 to F26 was a successful migration/upgrade.

Then it was back to are-install for F33 because it was a hardware
replacement, and Linux/Fedora does not have a one-true backup/restore
process that I have ever seen.  (My first Unix was Xenix on a 286
and SCO allowed you to make an 'emergency boot floppy' and then
restore a system from tape.  It was a dirt simple one hour process to
fully restore a system.)

After F33, it became an issue that I didn't want to migrate because
I'd typically be losing functionality or user-convenience.

During F33 to 34/35 migration I remember losing all of my KiCad customizations
for chips and connectors I had downloaded.
During this F35 to F39 migration, I've lost the convenience of a Fedora
supported FreeCAD.
And since Wayland isn't a full-function replacement for X11 yet,
I understand the next migration will break my remote X11 windows usage.
(And a remote desktop is not a replacement for remote windows.)

If you've read this far, thank you.  I hope you appreciate my story.
P.S. And with every upgrade, software just gets slower.