Re: systemd-networkd-wait-online times out

Tim via users writes:

"The service systemd-networkd-wait-online.service invokes systemd-
networkd-wait-online without any options. Thus, it waits for all
managed interfaces to be configured or failed, and for at least one to
be online."

Could it be that you have some additional interfaces configured, or
half-configured, that it thinks it has to wait for?

I have two network interfaces. Both of them fully come up.

This system predates the introduction of systemd-networkd. It uses NetworkManager, which shows both interfaces as fully up:

# nmcli conn show
NAME  UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE
wan0  71e6ac4b-c693-4c20-aa0d-e1a63b7373fe  ethernet  eno2
lan0  d1a1ee90-f006-43bb-9cbf-175ad32f6565  ethernet  eno1
lo    65db7135-f18c-4598-b5ad-61a1475f41ee  loopback  lo

Another thing that springs to mind, is do you have IPv6?  And if not,
is it waiting for it in vain?

Both of these are IPv4 only. Both of these have static IP address assignments. There are no non-default IPv6 addresses on either of them. They do have the stock link-local IPv6 address that all interfaces get. That's it. There is no reason, whatsoever, why these network interfaces would not come up immediately. They do. I ssh into the box on one of these immediately after boot, and the Intertubes are there.

"dnf remove systemd-networkd" says that it can be removed by itself, and it has no other dependencies. I have no idea how it got installed. This system's original install predated even NetworkManager's existence. Some dependency must've pulled in systemd-networkd at some point.

Another data point is that the systemd-networkd main service is disabled. The real problem is that systemd-networkd-wait-online was enabled. I have no recollection of enabling it, I was completely unaware of it, until I noticed this breakage.

So, it looks to me like the main issue is systemd-networkd-wait-online, and only systemd-networkd-wait-online was erroneously enabled, and – and this is the guesswork part – the systemd-verse had no network interfaces defined (all the network interfaces are managed by NetworkManager) and systemd- networkd-wait-online will, apparently, hang until it times out, waiting for network interfaces to come up, but none will ever come up because none have been configured.