Re: systemd-networkd-wait-online times out

On 4/9/24 19:12, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
I've been made aware that it takes two minutes for systemd-networkd-wait-online.service to spin its wheels, before giving up with a squeal:

Apr 09 22:03:30 shorty.email-scan.com systemd[1]: Starting systemd-networkd-wait-online.service - Wait for Network to be Configured… Apr 09 22:05:30 shorty.email-scan.com systemd-networkd-wait-online[1282]: Timeout occurred while waiting for network connectivity. Apr 09 22:05:30 shorty.email-scan.com systemd[1]: systemd-networkd-wait-online.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Everything comes up normally. Network connectivity on this box is normal. Originally I was looking into why it took a long time for keepalived to come up on this box and grab its virtual IP address, and I determined that keepalived simply started after quite a bit of time elapsed before systemd deemed it necessary to start keepalived. And when I tried to figure out why's that, I discovered this to be the culprit.

I did not find the man pages to be illumanating, just a bunch of systemd man pages referring to each other, with no clear indication as to what the issue is.

At the time I obtained the above logs I was ssh-ed into the box in question, which was fully up. But systemd-networkd-wait-online was under the impression that it wasn't, apparently, and decided to croak after two minutes elapsed.

So, how do I troubleshoot this?

I have a similar problem where the wait-online service suddenly started taking a very long time and then failing. My system that used to boot in a few seconds now takes over a minute. So I have two questions.

What is it waiting for? My main ethernet card gets an address right away. It's possibly because I was playing with VMs and created a whole bunch of virtual interfaces. I think it started after that. I just found an empty bridge that would try to use DHCP, so that could have been a problem. I won't know until I next reboot. However, that shouldn't be relevant. The system is online once the ethernet is connected.

Perhaps more importantly, why can't that happen in the background? Why does gdm care if the network is connected? From the analyze output, I don't think it's a direct dependency, but that seems like there is some dependency that really shouldn't be there.